“ Lentil Bolognese is a favourite in our house and is my go to comfort food. I always tend to use brown rice pasta because I don’t get that horrible bloated feeling that I get with white pasta. Lentils are high in fibre and full of good protein ”
- Coconut oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 2 tsp oregano (you can use mixed herbs too if you like)
- Chopped veg of your choice (I tend to use 1 courgette and a couple of celery sticks and but feel free to experiment!)
- 300g Dried red lentils
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1.5-2lt good quality vegetable stock
- 5 sun dried tomatoes sliced
- 2 big handfuls of spinach (optional)
- Brown Rice Spaghetti
- Heat your oil in a decent sized frying/sauté pan over a medium heat.
- Add onions and any other veg that you are using. Once they have softened slightly (around 10 mins) add your herbs and garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the lentils and tinned tomatoes - give it a good stir to combine.
- Add 1 litre of stock and stir again.
- Keep stirring every now and then to stop it from sticking and keep topping it up with stock when it starts to become too dry. You're aiming for a bolognese texture remember but the lentils will suck up a lot of the water.
- Once the lentils are cooked through but still have a slight bite (around 40 mins) stir through your sundried tomatoes and season to taste. Sundried tomatoes can be quite salty so easy on the salt.
- At this point,if you’re using spinach for an added boost, chuck it in and stir until it wilts slightly.
- Serve with your spaghetti cooked to packet instructions