“My Mexican Bean Bowl is a different take on fajitas – it always looks great on the table if you’re cooking for other people.”
- Coconut oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 small courgette cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 x 400g can black beans
- 1 x 400g can kidney beans
- 1x 400g chopped tomatoes
- 2tsp cumin
- 2tsp smoked paprika
- Juice of 1 lime
- Wholewheat tortillas
- 1 or 2 avocado
- 1 handful of cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 red chilli deseeded and finely sliced (or use a pinch of dried chilli)
- 1 handful of chopped coriander
- Juice of 1/2 lime
Preheat oven at 200C/gas mark 6/400F
- Prepare all of the veg and put it all into a dish. Mix together the cumin, paprika and lime juice and pour it over the veg. Give everything a good stir and leave to marinade whilst you make the guacamole.
- I like to do this Jamie Oliver style! Half the avocado and remove the stone and then simply squeeze the flesh out into a serving bowl. Squeeze the tomatoes in your hands to burst them and pop them into the bowl too. (If thats a bit much for you feel free to chop them with a knife but its not as much fun!) Add the coriander, chilli and lime juice. Mush everything together and season to perfection.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pan and chuck the veg in along with the garlic and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the tinned tomatoes (sometimes I only use half the can of tomatoes but see what you prefer) and the beans, continue to cook for ten minutes or so until everything is heated through nicely.
- Whilst the veg and bean mixture is cooking get 4 cereal type bowls and push a tortilla into each one. It will fold up a little bit but just try and mould it to the shape of the bowl the best you can. Pop it in the oven and cook for around 10 minutes or until the top of the tortilla is a bit crispy and it will hold its shape when removed from the bowl.
- Remove the tortillas from the bowls and fill with the bean mixture, serve with a dollop of guacamole.