“This Tarka Dhal isn’t the quickest recipe but its super easy and really cheap to make if you have a selection of spices ready to use. You normally see this on menus as a side dish but I think it deserves to be a main!”
- 350g chana dal rinsed(yellow dried split peas)
- Coconut oil
- 1 large onion
- Dried chilli - as much as you dare
- 4cm piece of ginger peeled and grated
- 3 or 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 3 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1tsp turmeric
- 1tsp cumin
- 1tsp garam masala
- 1tsp gound coriander
- Salt and pepper
- Cook your split peas to packet instructions - it will probably take 40 -50 mins or so. You can always cook your split peas the night before if you know you're going to be short on time.
- Heat your coconut oil in a pan and add your onion, cook over a low heat until they have a lovely golden colour.
- Add the garlic, ginger and all of the spices, give it a good stir and then after a minute or two add your chopped tomatoes. Continue cooking until they break down and turn a bit mushy.
- Add your cooked split peas and stir everything together. You'll probably need to add a little water to loosen the texture a bit so do this now and season to taste. Don't be shy with the seasoning - this dish needs it.
- Serve with brown rice.