“I love this combination. It’s really filling and a big wooden chopping board with lots of colourful bruschetta on looks really nice in the middle of the table. The bruschetta makes a great snack too.”
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 celery sticks chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 6 medium tomatoes on the vine quartered
- 2 x 400g tinned tomatoes
- 1.5 lt vegetable stock
- Any nice crusty baguette (I like the seeded wholemeal ones)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 avocado
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Red chilli (optional)
- Drizzle a little oil into a large pan over a medium heat and add all the veg excluding the garlic. Give it a good stir and continue to cook until the veg has softened slightly (around 10 mins). It may help to pop the lid back on the pan but be careful the onion doesn't catch.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking for another 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes along with the fresh ones too. Chuck the vine of the tomatoes in to the pan too because it adds great flavour!
- Pour the vegetable stock into the pan and let it simmer for around 20 minutes or until the carrot is soft.
- You can add pinch of sugar if its not quite sweet enough but go steady and then whiz up with a blender until nice and smooth. Don't forget to take the vines out first though!!
- Remove the skin and stone from the avocado and squeeze the green flesh into a bowl, mash it with the juice of half a lemon and season to taste.
- Chop the tomatoes into quarters or smaller and place in a small bowl, chop the basil and deseeded chilli and mix into the tomatoes along with a good drizzle of olive oil. Season to taste.
- Slice the bread on the diagonal and lay the slices onto the grill rack.
- Brush the bread with a little olive oil and pop it under the grill until its slightly golden
- Chop the garlic clove in half and rub the cut end over the toasted side of bread.
- Turn the bread over and repeat. Top each slice with the avocado mixture followed by the tomatoes.
- Serve alongside your soup and enjoy!